Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sound of Silence

It is strange to be woken up by silence, or rather, the amplification of sounds you don't normally hear over the humming and buzzing of all your electric appliances, and your heater.

I was first awoken by the phone ringing. A strange automated voice delivering good news: school is canceled! I was ready to thoroughly enjoy sleeping in when the silence woke me up. I heard a creak, then a strange popping sound, then the smacking sound of my pug licking his own face. What are all these noises!?

It has given me a little understanding why people who live in bustling cities have a hard time sleeping when they go to the peaceful countryside. The silence can be unsettling. Why is it so quiet?! Kind of like when your two-year-old is out of sight and quiet....something is wrong, and when you find that little one, nine times outta ten you are going to have a situation.

So back to this morning (6:30). Why was it so quiet? Why was I awoken by silence? Our power went out. So we did what any good parent would do, started packing and bundling our tots to rush over to Grandmas, seeing as though it was 6 degrees outside. And as soon as every child was triple-layered with accompanying hats and gloves, shoes tied--click, hummmm. The power came back on. And for this I am extremely grateful.

No comments: