Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Yer not from 'round here, are ya?

I was at Wal-Mart very late one night, (yes, all of the strange and interesting things in our life seem to happen at Wal-Mart, we really are hicks). Anyway, so I was there really late one night to get some medicine, and in front of me in line was a group of teenagers. The strange thing about these teenagers is that they were all really, extremely fashionable. They looked as if they came straight from an Abercrombie and Fitch catalog photo shoot. I found myself trying really hard not to stare at them and I just kept thinking "Where are they from?!" I almost asked them, because I was sure they couldn't be from our little hick town, I was sure they were from Orange County, CA or the like.

I didn't ask them, I should have asked them, this story would probably be a lot better if I had.

But anyway, I was reflecting on that moment the next day and it reminded me of when I was a young, trendy, ridiculously good looking college kid driving home to Richland WA from Provo UT. On the way home I stopped at the Wendys in Twin Falls ID. When I went inside the Wendys it seemed like everybody stopped eating and stared at me! I couldn't figure out why--now I know, and anyone reading this who is from a small and/or rural town knows too. It's the "Yer not from 'round here, are ya?" stare. Either that or I had a big booger hanging out of my nose.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

you're too funny....and way too insightful. i get all nostalgic when i take the kids swimming and see the teenagers all tan and cute and think, "ah yes, those were the days...why was i in such a hurry to grow up???"

judging from your new little picture though, you're still pretty cute though :-).

Krystle Ricks said...

HAHA! Yeah, those kids Definitely weren't from around here! It seems like most kids here do the "non-conformist" punk rock, gothic, whatever you'd like to call it look. I wish I was there to stare at them with you! haha

Oh and P.S. You still are ridiculously good looking!